MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 05-04-2010, 20:31 PM

17 and enlisted

my mother has signed my papers and im waiting to go to meps. i sort of have some fields of work lined out in my head and was wanting to get some input on them from people that have worked in the fields i am looking in to. my first job i might want to do is drive an m1a1 abrams. my second is military police, and my third option is recon. i want to go into law enforcement after i get out...if i don't decide to retire, or i may do both. part time swat and maybe patrol officer full time. anyway thanks for taking the time to look and read my post...all replys are appreciated.
Old 05-04-2010, 20:47 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Hello Adam.. I'm sure that you will get some very good replies from the Marines hiding around here.

The first thing you have to remember is that you have to live through your first 3 years in our the corps. Of course that will include your boot camp, MOS training (Job), advanced combat training (ITR) if they still have it, and then your first deployment to a combat area.

All and all about 98% of those that join our Corps makes it.

I'll be watching the replies just as I know you will be.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/

Old 05-04-2010, 20:55 PM
Lowe. E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_scroggins View Post
my mother has signed my papers and im waiting to go to meps. i sort of have some fields of work lined out in my head and was wanting to get some input on them from people that have worked in the fields i am looking in to. my first job i might want to do is drive an m1a1 abrams. my second is military police, and my third option is recon. i want to go into law enforcement after i get out...if i don't decide to retire, or i may do both. part time swat and maybe patrol officer full time. anyway thanks for taking the time to look and read my post...all replys are appreciated.
Whaddya nuts? Do you watch the news? There's a war on!

Go to College - get an education - enjoy all the college gals and live long and prosper.

If you do go in.... and they bust your butt at Parris Island - Tell them you are good friends with MSgt Bob Doktor. He is a legend in the Corps and they will treat you a lot better.

You said your mother signed for you? How old are you? If you haven't graduated high school - the Marines don't want you. They had enough dummies from New Jersey during Vietnam -- and you see how that war went.

You may have to join old brand x Army -- whatever you do -- Good Luck
Old 05-06-2010, 16:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe. E.T. View Post
Whaddya nuts? Do you watch the news? There's a war on!

Go to College - get an education - enjoy all the college gals and live long and prosper.

If you do go in.... and they bust your butt at Parris Island - Tell them you are good friends with MSgt Bob Doktor. He is a legend in the Corps and they will treat you a lot better.

You said your mother signed for you? How old are you? If you haven't graduated high school - the Marines don't want you. They had enough dummies from New Jersey during Vietnam -- and you see how that war went.

You may have to join old brand x Army -- whatever you do -- Good Luck
im 17. i will go to San Diego. I've debated joining for about 4 years so it wasn't a rushed into decision. i want the honor to one day say i am a marine and that i contributed to our country. i made a 66 on my asvab i know thats not the greatest score but its not the worst either. I'm from arkansas as well not new jersey =). And i was told i would have to finish high school but as soon as i do i will be going to bootcamp...im all sorts of nervous and excited at the same time.
Old 05-06-2010, 17:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Hello Adam.. I'm sure that you will get some very good replies from the Marines hiding around here.

The first thing you have to remember is that you have to live through your first 3 years in our the corps. Of course that will include your boot camp, MOS training (Job), advanced combat training (ITR) if they still have it, and then your first deployment to a combat area.

All and all about 98% of those that join our Corps makes it.

I'll be watching the replies just as I know you will be.
I understand this, in a previous post i stated i debated it for about 4 years. i did a lot of research....a lot. I'm fully aware of the deployment to a combat area and every one of my jobs im interested in are going to put me right in the hot zones. It would be interesting to be a tank driver, but there are no skills i could learn going into law enforcement. I've been doing some more research on mp's. i think thats what im going to shoot for. I will gain the necessary skills and training in this field for me to have a civilian career when i get out. I might get in and never want to leave and stay for a good 20 or so. but im sure by the end of my 2 week i'll be hating my recruiter and writing him very angry letters. i kid what ever happens i know im not going to regret it. Saturday i will be at the little rock meps station getting examined. thank you for your time and for your service.
Old 05-06-2010, 17:11 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Adam, Don't let the General screw up your mind.. he's nuts anyway.. He is one of the many Marines that served in Viet Nam that is now on a VA disability. We are also starting to get a lot of Marines from the Gulf wars that are now on disabilty.

War does something to you. It can not be put into words.. just feelings.
Push hard, real hard in boot camp because what you learn there can save your life.

Some of us put in our 20 and made it to retirement. Then received the life time advantages of being retired. Others put in their 2, 3, 4, or more years and have their advantages.. then where are that few that never made it. To that group we owe everything.

Old 05-06-2010, 17:41 PM

Quote:
Adam, Don't let the General screw up your mind.. he's nuts anyway.. He is one of the many Marines that served in Viet Nam that is now on a VA disability. We are also starting to get a lot of Marines from the Gulf wars that are now on disabilty.

War does something to you. It can not be put into words.. just feelings.
Push hard, real hard in boot camp because what you learn there can save your life.

Some of us put in our 20 and made it to retirement. Then received the life time advantages of being retired. Others put in their 2, 3, 4, or more years and have their advantages.. then where are that few that never made it. To that group we owe everything.
yes sir, i will try to not lose my sanity. Boot camp is what you make of it. I will surely put 110% effort out. My current girlfriend and future wife (she doesn't know it yet but she will haha) would kill me if anything were to happen to me. I'm not doing it for finances but it would give us a good stable financial structure. I'm doing this because this is what i want to do. I've lost approximately 60 pounds since this past june and i'm at the lowest weight i have been since about 8th grade. weighing about 180, i had to give myself the self discipline into making something of myself. Its hard for me to find the words worth using to describe how i feel about going and why i want to go. I feel its my calling to help,serve and protect our people, and this is the method that screams at me to do. I truly thank you for the time you have taken to reply.
Old 05-06-2010, 17:54 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

In todays world, weight is always a problem. When I was going to high school I was on the foot ball (tackle) team and wrestling team (138 pound class). I thought I was in the best shape anyone could be in.

Boy did I learn. In boot camp I went from 138 pounds to 165 pounds and not one ounce of that was fat. When I retired 20 years later I was still at only 176 pounds. You never stop working out in the Marine corps. If you don't like to run and do push up's don't join. You will be required to qualify every year in physical fitness. Fail and you will have a lot of problems and could be forced out of the Corps.

Old 05-06-2010, 18:01 PM

ever since i melted that weight off, i fell in love with working out. i have never really done any sports my school is too small for football and basketball is full of slinkies. The only thing is getting used to breathing when running. i was never taught how to run im learning everything off of youtube. the wonder of today's technologies. i have about 10 maybe 15 pounds of fat on me now. If you have any techniques or advice on the physical fitness training or preparedness i'll be more than happy to hear it and follow it.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:01 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Well, here is the deal. I just retired last July after 26 years. Pick whatever MOS you are qualified for. You do NOT necessarily require a MOS which would translate over to the Civilian Law Enforecement side. Civilian Law Enforcement loves to have former military overall. I have worked with tankers and a myriad of other MOS' in my years. Tankers fall under combat arms. Combat Arms includes Tankers, Arty, and the Infantry. I, like you, went to bootcamp 9 days after graduation (that was 1983). I in fact made a very successful career and went from Enlisted to Officer as did Chuck. Whatever you do, you should feel proud as you have taken the first step to become one of the Worlds Finest Fighting Men.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:04 PM

Quote:
ever since i melted that weight off, i fell in love with working out. i have never really done any sports my school is too small for football and basketball is full of slinkies. The only thing is getting used to breathing when running. i was never taught how to run im learning everything off of youtube. the wonder of today's technologies. i have about 10 maybe 15 pounds of fat on me now. If you have any techniques or advice on the physical fitness training or preparedness i'll be more than happy to hear it and follow it.
In regards to fitness and the various programs, have your Recruiter get you the info on the current PFT AND the CFT. However, 4 miles a day minimum running should be the level of fitness you achieve prior to bootcamp.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:05 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

I see we have another officer, WO-4 by the name of Frank. He just retired from the Marine Corps. Maybe he can tell you what they are doing today as to removing that fat. I never had fat when I was on active duty and I'm sure that Frank also did not have any fat. There is just no room for fat in our Corps.

Get it off before you get to boot camp and it will stay off..

Old 05-06-2010, 18:11 PM

Quote:
I see we have another officer, WO-4 by the name of Frank. He just retired from the Marine Corps. Maybe he can tell you what they are doing today as to removing that fat. I never had fat when I was on active duty and I'm sure that Frank also did not have any fat. There is just no room for fat in our Corps.

Get it off before you get to boot camp and it will stay off..
Just good old PT Chuck. 5 days a week at a minimum. I did not have that issue when I went in. I played football and wrestled throughout school.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:15 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Frank I did not know that our backgrounds were basically the same.

What weight did you wrestle at?

Old 05-06-2010, 18:17 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

I went to boot camp the day before I graduated from high school.

The last day of school was on a Friday with the graduation on Saturday. But Friday I was on a airplane to MCRD San Diego for boot camp and my mother went to the graduation and picked up my diploma for me.

Old 05-06-2010, 18:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
In regards to fitness and the various programs, have your Recruiter get you the info on the current PFT AND the CFT. However, 4 miles a day minimum running should be the level of fitness you achieve prior to bootcamp.
thank god i have a year to prepare for the running part then. i can do everything else just this running i'm new too. I was thinking it over in my head about my job in the corp. I think i would enjoy being an mp more than driving a tank and i feel i could offer more to the corp by doing this job. I can't explain how proud i am of myself to know that i took the first step above all others in my class and my school. I'm the first recruit out of my school in three years. I try to explain to the other students what they are missing out of. An experience of a life time. Some of the younger class members want to follow in my foot steps. Some freshmen and Sophomores, i told them don't do this because i am. do it because you feel it is your calling and that you would regret never taking the chance to do so.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:26 PM

Quote:
Frank I did not know that our backgrounds were basically the same.

What weight did you wrestle at?
167 Chuck.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:27 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Trying to get your self killed is not a calling...

You have to remember that some of the people you will be facing have had a lot of training.. They can shoot just as straight .. and they can shoot from a long distance. Some of our best men have been it my snipers from more then a 1,000 meters away .. and that is a very long distanced. You are dead before you know the shot is fired.

Old 05-06-2010, 18:28 PM

Quote:
thank god i have a year to prepare for the running part then. i can do everything else just this running i'm new too. I was thinking it over in my head about my job in the corp. I think i would enjoy being an mp more than driving a tank and i feel i could offer more to the corp by doing this job. I can't explain how proud i am of myself to know that i took the first step above all others in my class and my school. I'm the first recruit out of my school in three years. I try to explain to the other students what they are missing out of. An experience of a life time. Some of the younger class members want to follow in my foot steps. Some freshmen and Sophomores, i told them don't do this because i am. do it because you feel it is your calling and that you would regret never taking the chance to do so.
In regards to running, the BIGGEST issue is to make sure you have a great pair of running shoes...not a good pair, a great pair. Your back will thank you along with your arches.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:29 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Quote:
167 Chuck.
Damn.. you was a lite heavy weight.

I was state champion in Missouri for two of my high school years.

I was surprised when I went before the officer selection board many years later when one of the things they were talking to me about was my years of wrestling.. All of that information was in my background check.

Old 05-06-2010, 18:46 PM

Quote:
Trying to get your self killed is not a calling...

You have to remember that some of the people you will be facing have had a lot of training.. They can shoot just as straight .. and they can shoot from a long distance. Some of our best men have been it my snipers from more then a 1,000 meters away .. and that is a very long distanced. You are dead before you know the shot is fired.
don't want to get killed while i'm in, that would not make my day. I'm not afraid too die but i don't plan on it any time soon.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:46 PM

Quote:
In regards to running, the BIGGEST issue is to make sure you have a great pair of running shoes...not a good pair, a great pair. Your back will thank you along with your arches.
great pair of running shoes... i'll look into that thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:57 PM

Quote:
Damn.. you was a lite heavy weight.

I was state champion in Missouri for two of my high school years.

I was surprised when I went before the officer selection board many years later when one of the things they were talking to me about was my years of wrestling.. All of that information was in my background check.
Hell Chuck, I am 5'10" tall.
Old 05-06-2010, 18:58 PM

i am 5'9'' tall -.-
Old 05-06-2010, 19:04 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

When I wrestled I was also 5'10" .. now I am 5'9"