MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 05-06-2010, 20:07 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Hay what's this.. you got good running shoes.. When I was qualifying I had Marine Corps issued tennis shoes, but that made no difference .. because in the early days of qualifying we had to qualify in combat boots.. Now try running the 440 for time in combat boots.. Then add a 60 pound pack.. That's what we had to do the very first time I qualified in the field .. I would say that was about 1957.

We had other Marines in here that had to qualify during that same time period.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/

Old 05-06-2010, 20:08 PM

how much did you two bench while you were wrestling?
Old 05-06-2010, 20:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Hay what's this.. you got good running shoes.. When I was qualifying I had Marine Corps issued tennis shoes, but that made no difference .. because in the early days of qualifying we had to qualify in combat boots.. Now try running the 440 for time in combat boots.. Then add a 60 pound pack.. That's what we had to do the very first time I qualified in the field .. I would say that was about 1957.

We had other Marines in here that had to qualify during that same time period.
Thats intense, i bet you felt real good after that run.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:15 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_scroggins View Post
how much did you two bench while you were wrestling?
My Senior year (1983), I was pushing 325 on the bench. Cannot even think about doing half that much now.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
My Senior year (1983), I was pushing 325 on the bench. Cannot even think about doing half that much now.
something tells me i need to start lifting....I'm only doing 210. only problem is i don't have weight set. i guess i'll have to stick to push ups and pull ups.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:20 PM

Quote:
something tells me i need to start lifting....I'm only doing 210. only problem is i don't have weight set. i guess i'll have to stick to push ups and pull ups.
Can you use the gym at the High School. Me, I was a member of the CYC and my High School had a awesome gym.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:26 PM

Quote:
Can you use the gym at the High School. Me, I was a member of the CYC and my High School had a awesome gym.
The classes i take do not allow me to use the gym's weight set.... the only gym we have is the basketball gym. I could probably get permission to use the weights but i would have to find a spotter and there just isn't that many people at my school that can even think about lifting 200+ pounds up off me if i get fatigued. the only sport we have really is basketball.....Being in a poor family there are not a lot of opportunities for me to have the luxuries of such facilities. other wise i would be at the closest heart center/fitness place.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:33 PM

Quote:
The classes i take do not allow me to use the gym's weight set.... the only gym we have is the basketball gym. I could probably get permission to use the weights but i would have to find a spotter and there just isn't that many people at my school that can even think about lifting 200+ pounds up off me if i get fatigued. the only sport we have really is basketball.....Being in a poor family there are not a lot of opportunities for me to have the luxuries of such facilities. other wise i would be at the closest heart center/fitness place.
Understand. The PT you should be doing is running, sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups. Doing those exercises consistently will build you up. Do what you can. As long as your heart is in it, you will be fine.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:36 PM

Quote:
yes sir, i will try to not lose my sanity. Boot camp is what you make of it. I will surely put 110% effort out. My current girlfriend and future wife (she doesn't know it yet but she will haha) would kill me if anything were to happen to me. I'm not doing it for finances but it would give us a good stable financial structure. I'm doing this because this is what i want to do. I've lost approximately 60 pounds since this past june and i'm at the lowest weight i have been since about 8th grade. weighing about 180, i had to give myself the self discipline into making something of myself. Its hard for me to find the words worth using to describe how i feel about going and why i want to go. I feel its my calling to help,serve and protect our people, and this is the method that screams at me to do. I truly thank you for the time you have taken to reply.
Give me your G/F address and I will wright her and tell her to send you one (1) stick of gum in the mail for you at mail call.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:40 PM

Quote:
Understand. The PT you should be doing is running, sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups. Doing those exercises consistently will build you up. Do what you can. As long as your heart is in it, you will be fine.
yes sir, i have the heart i can assure you. The advice i have received from both you and chuck has been very helpful. I look forward to further discussions about the corp with the both of you, but for now i must rest for i have school tomorrow and meps and all sorts of fun exciting stuff.... g'night.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra29er View Post
Give me your G/F address and I will wright her and tell her to send you one (1) stick of gum in the mail for you at mail call.
haha thats great. a good joke for a new recruit i presume?
Old 05-06-2010, 20:47 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Frank I was benching about the same.. 300 to 325 pounds. Normally about twice your weight.

Old 05-06-2010, 20:52 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Oh come on Zebra29er.. we know that his girl friend would want to send him candy bars so that he can have his quick energy.

Old 05-06-2010, 20:54 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Maybe a home baked chocolate cake once a week. But if she is going to send you something like that Adam make sure you tell her to see that it is well boxed and sealed to keep if fresh.

Old 05-06-2010, 21:06 PM

Quote:
Frank I was benching about the same.. 300 to 325 pounds. Normally about twice your weight.
Correct. Always go for double bodyweight.
Old 05-06-2010, 21:26 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Adam, Most of us were poor when we joined the Marine Corps. I was a poor Indian from the Ozarks of Missouri. I spent part of my early life in a home that had dirt floors, no running water, electricity, or bathroom. We got out water from a outside spring, our light from oil lamps, heat from wood, and out bathroom was a out house that we had to dig a new hole for about every six months. So like you I knew what poor was. We were so poor we did not know we were poor. Up until I started to Junior high school I went to a one room school in a place called Somerville, Missouri. We had no money. So when we needed something like clothing it was all hand me downs or we would trade things at the general store 5 miles away.. such as eggs and maybe a half cow once a year when we butchered.. or a hog or two when we butchered.. We were lucky that we had animals that would and could reproduce.
If a milk cow stopped milking because of age it when to the the general store if you know what I mean. During the months we could go without we never wore shoes.. we went bare foot. Because of that to this day I can not buy shoes in a regular shoe store. My feet are too wide from going bare foot in my early years. All the time I spent in the Marine Corps I never had to purchase my shoes or boots. They were all supplied to me free by a sick bay prescription because of my wide feet. Today I wear a 6E size 7 shoe (very short, very wide).

Old 05-06-2010, 21:30 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

The reason I made the last post was to let you know that even being poor you can still get the correct work out. Find a tree branch somewhere and start doing chin ups.. That is the next best thing to doing weights. You will at least be lifting your own body weight. And if you get good.. add weight like a pack and put rocks in it.. then do your chin ups.

You need to do as Frank said...

Run, setups, chin ups, and I would add squat jumps to keep you loose.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
The reason I made the last post was to let you know that even being poor you can still get the correct work out. Find a tree branch somewhere and start doing chin ups.. That is the next best thing to doing weights. You will at least be lifting your own body weight. And if you get good.. add weight like a pack and put rocks in it.. then do your chin ups.

You need to do as Frank said...

Run, setups, chin ups, and I would add squat jumps to keep you loose.
Thank you for the advice, i never thought about putting rocks in a bag i'll have to try that. We arn't that poor but pretty close. i remember when i was younger we had to catch water in barrels and 5 gallon buckets when it rained and go to parks and such to fill jugs up. So i understand where you are coming from on some of this. We had chickens instead of cows and i think at one time we had a pig. But i will follow the advice you have given me and im always game for a good story. have a wonderful day.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Oh come on Zebra29er.. we know that his girl friend would want to send him candy bars so that he can have his quick energy.
i don't eat candy but it would be nice of her. I don't think she does either to be honest.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM

i am 18

iam 18 i got rushed into things and ihave been sworn in i am in the dep programand i wanna get out i wanna go to college is there any way i can and be outta the marines completely
Old 06-17-2010, 13:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacree View Post
iam 18 i got rushed into things and ihave been sworn in i am in the dep programand i wanna get out i wanna go to college is there any way i can and be outta the marines completely
Your kidding me, right? Why pay now for college when the G.I. bill will pay most of it for you when you decide to go WHILE you in!!
Old 06-19-2010, 19:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacree View Post
i know it gets scary, but don't back out. my ship date is june 6 of next year and i almost backed out of deping in because i was losing confidence in myself. but its not that bad. if your worried about leaving a girlfriend or something of that sort like family you get time to see them. can't stay at home all your life go out and live man! but i hope your decide to stay in, you wont regret it, well unless you don't put effort out.
Old 07-16-2010, 22:42 PM

Adam i totally get you with the running thing. I don't realy know how to run at all or breathe when i run.I can barely do my sit ups either I'm a 17 year old FEMALE lol that just joined. but i ship June 20th of next year so atleast there is time to prepare.
Old 07-16-2010, 22:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFox324 View Post
Adam i totally get you with the running thing. I don't realy know how to run at all or breathe when i run.I can barely do my sit ups either I'm a 17 year old FEMALE lol that just joined. but i ship June 20th of next year so atleast there is time to prepare.
Welcome to the Few. Now running.... Have great running shoes. Just beginning running???? Start on 1/4 mile tracks. Add a 1/4 mile per 1.5 weeks until you can safely run 4 miles. Why 4, because the PFT is 3. Running 4 consistently will ensure your wind is built up, along with your endurance.

Breathing, I tried to get the in the nose, out the mouth thing down... Never did and I retired last July after 26 years. Just try to contain your breathing to a level where you are not gasping for air. Good even breathes while running.
Old 07-16-2010, 22:59 PM

Also, when doing crunches, ensure your arms are crossed. Remember, when doing the crunches for the PFT, you have someone holding your ankles as you are performing the exercise. Makes it a little easier. Do about 100-200 a night. That will get you in shape and maintain your level of fitness.