MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 06-22-2011, 20:11 PM
DaveSmith

When can I actually join?

I am 16 and I want to become a Marine. My birthday is Sept 30 1994 so I will be 17 this September, but I need help getting in shape and getting information. Is there anything someone as young as me can do? I also heard the Marine Corps. might be disbanded by 2016 and become part of the Navy. Is this true?
Old 06-22-2011, 20:33 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
I am 16 and I want to become a Marine. My birthday is Sept 30 1994 so I will be 17 this September, but I need help getting in shape and getting information. Is there anything someone as young as me can do? I also heard the Marine Corps. might be disbanded by 2016 and become part of the Navy. Is this true?
Don't know who the heck told you that, but they are IDIOTS. And hey, the Marines are already and have been part of the Navy since the inception of the Corps.
Old 06-22-2011, 20:34 PM

Tell me what kind of info and tips you are looking for. I retired 2 years back after 26 years of Active service.
Old 06-23-2011, 21:40 PM
DaveSmith

This guy said he was a retired Army grunt, so I figured it was probably BS in the Army. My question is about when I can actually join, when basic training is available for me to enroll in. Like I said, I'm 16 until september.
Old 06-24-2011, 00:06 AM

Quote:
This guy said he was a retired Army grunt, so I figured it was probably BS in the Army. My question is about when I can actually join, when basic training is available for me to enroll in. Like I said, I'm 16 until september.
You can sign up at 17 with parental consent (they have to sign for you). High school grad of course. Once you complete school, then you can ship anytime thereafter.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Commanding General The Few

I went in at 17, one week after high school graduation, parents had to sign for me. No regrets at all.
Old 06-28-2011, 00:46 AM
DaveSmith

Do you have to be graduated or can you be in high school and just be on reserve until graduation?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Do you have to be graduated or can you be in high school and just be on reserve until graduation?
Again, you can sign up at 17 with parental permission (they have to sign the paperwork). Once you graduate, then you can ship to bootcamp anytime thereafter.