MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 07-16-2010, 22:08 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

How come no one ever told me about running shoes.. I guess when I joined the Marine they did not have such things.. only things called tennis shoes.. and they were for all around use.

All of our running was done in combat boots and if lucky tennis shoes. I have even run bare footed to qualify for my running time. But I do not think that that could be done today. It would be hell to be running and step on a spike for a land mine.. I would never be able to find my toes to glue them back on.

All joking aside.. I wish all of you the very best of luck and I hope that you can make it to join our Marine family as brothers and sisters of those that have served before you.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/

Old 07-17-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Welcome to the Few. Now running.... Have great running shoes. Just beginning running???? Start on 1/4 mile tracks. Add a 1/4 mile per 1.5 weeks until you can safely run 4 miles. Why 4, because the PFT is 3. Running 4 consistently will ensure your wind is built up, along with your endurance.

Breathing, I tried to get the in the nose, out the mouth thing down... Never did and I retired last July after 26 years. Just try to contain your breathing to a level where you are not gasping for air. Good even breathes while running.
Well thank you Frank. The add a 1/4 mile everyone 1.5 weeks sounds like a good plan. I was kind of just running until I couldn't breathe anymore lol,didn't get far though.
And those crunches drive me crazy. I don't get why they don't just call it a sit up. I took my first pft I was expecting a cruch to be a crunch, I was taken by surprise by that. But Thank you or the good advice. If you want to give me ay tips for basic I will gladly take them :)
Old 07-18-2010, 06:25 AM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFox324 View Post
Well thank you Frank. The add a 1/4 mile everyone 1.5 weeks sounds like a good plan. I was kind of just running until I couldn't breathe anymore lol,didn't get far though.
And those crunches drive me crazy. I don't get why they don't just call it a sit up. I took my first pft I was expecting a cruch to be a crunch, I was taken by surprise by that. But Thank you or the good advice. If you want to give me ay tips for basic I will gladly take them :)
As far as your basic, of course you are going to Parris Island with 4th RTR. 1 important item I forgot in regards to physical training. The CFT is not a easy task either. I am sure, or at least hope the Recruiter has informed you of this. What will your MOS be?????? Ask away about Boot Camp. There are way to many training days for me to cover generically.
Old 07-26-2010, 20:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFox324 View Post
Adam i totally get you with the running thing. I don't realy know how to run at all or breathe when i run.I can barely do my sit ups either I'm a 17 year old FEMALE lol that just joined. but i ship June 20th of next year so atleast there is time to prepare.
my ship date is june 6 of next year. i just did my second ist for the sgtmjr out of texas. the first one i passed everything but the running but my second one i passed everything. i improved my run by like a minuet lol. ran the 1 and half mile in 12:44 so i was pleased to see improvements. still not what i want it to be though. good luck on your improvements my recruiter runs with the pool and he tells us not to try just to do.