MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 05-06-2012, 19:55 PM
Semper Fi

MOS 6511 Question

Hello I am currently set to ship out for recruit training on November 19th However I am a back up shipper for another poolee set to ship on june 11th, if he fails his IST again i will be taking his place. My recruiter told me that if i take his place i will automnatically be given his MOS which is 6511 aviation support, from what i have read about this MOS and what i have heard from a friend in this field it does not sound like something id like to do, it is not my first choice by far and i definetly dont like the idea of getting stuck on an aircraft carrier. is it true that i "HAVE TO" take this mos if i replace the other poolee as a back up shipper? or is my recruiter pulling my leg and just trying to fill in a spot he was told to fill??
Old 05-07-2012, 20:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine2be623 View Post
Hello I am currently set to ship out for recruit training on November 19th However I am a back up shipper for another poolee set to ship on june 11th, if he fails his IST again i will be taking his place. My recruiter told me that if i take his place i will automnatically be given his MOS which is 6511 aviation support, from what i have read about this MOS and what i have heard from a friend in this field it does not sound like something id like to do, it is not my first choice by far and i definetly dont like the idea of getting stuck on an aircraft carrier. is it true that i "HAVE TO" take this mos if i replace the other poolee as a back up shipper? or is my recruiter pulling my leg and just trying to fill in a spot he was told to fill??
To the best of my knowledge, (I have been retired since 1970), MOS 6511 is Aviation Ordnance. It would be support, but you would be handling ammunition, rockets, bombs in storage or arming aircraft. There are worse specialities to be had. As for keeping the 6511, I suspect the recruiter has a school quota that he has to fill that coordinates with the school starting date.

Good luck.