MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 01-09-2010, 23:52 PM

Lil Guy Marine Corps Infantry

Hello everyone my name is mike glenn and i am almost 16 years old. I am a sophomore and would like to know what it takes to become a Marine grunt. Thank you for your time
Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 AM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremarine1 View Post
Hello everyone my name is mike glenn and i am almost 16 years old. I am a sophomore and would like to know what it takes to become a Marine grunt. Thank you for your time
First, need to take the ASVAB test. This will allow the Recruiter to see what jobs you are qualified for. You have to let the Recruiter know you want guaranteed Infantry on your contract. Those basic MOS' are :

0311- Rifleman
0313- LAV Crewman
0331- Machinegunner
0341- Mortarman
0351- Infantry Assaultman
0352- Anti-tank Missileman

Now, keep in mind, you can get any one of the above listed MOS'. I have never seen a guaranteed 0311 for example. They can guarantee you the Occ Field (03). The Marine Corps will place you where they need you within the Occ Field. After successful completion of Boot Camp, then you will go to one of the Infantry Schools located at Camp Pendleton, Ca or Camp Lejeune, NC.

Also, keep in mind, and depending on how you score on your ASVAB, the Marine Corps may need you in another MOS. If the 03 MOS is closed (meaning they have enough folks at the time), you will be placed into another MOS for which you are qualified for. Just talk with your Recruiter and let him know you want guaranteed Infantry on your contract.
Old 01-10-2010, 22:52 PM
Administrator

Hi, Mike. Good to see you posting in here like we discussed.

I'm not certain what has "pushed" you toward wanting to be a "grunt" at your early age. Perhaps that's what you've seen in the movies or read in books, etc. - - the glory / macho thing I suppose. Don't get target fixation on being a grunt too soon - - you just might overlook many other equally exciting and very important jobs in the Corps.

You won't be eligible to enter the DEP until your junior year, but I would encourage you to go talk to a Marine Recruiter. He or she can fill you in on all kinds of jobs in the Corps and even guide you in your search for info.

Every recruit must first make it through boot camp (you'll be a basically trained Marine then) and MCT before going to their MOS school. For a "grunt" that MOS school is SOI (School of Infantry). If I've used references you don't understand, do a search on the Internet. There is a world of information out there. One trait of a good Marine is resourcefulness - - start now and it will stand you in good stead later.

Requirements for an 0311 are constantly being tweeked and updated. Folks in here or even your recruiter could give you a laundry list of requirements and I assure you they will change by the time you get there. The end result will be the same, but the details on getting there will have changed. Some general things you'll need are things you will get in high school. Physics, math (and I don't mean just arithmetic), English, biology, etc, etc, etc. You see, Mike, a Marine Grunt has to understand ballistics, how to figure charges, firing angles, etc. Every Marine Grunt even has to go thru an in-depth first aid course - - lives are at stake and ones Corpsman might be busy with someone else. That's where the sciences come into play. Are you starting to get the picture?

If you get anything out of my rambling in the above paragraph it should be that Marines have to have a broad basic knowledge of many subjects. A good high school education will get you started. If you're getting B's now, bust your butt and get A's. There is a perception, outside of the Corps, that the Marine Grunt is a big dummy. Don't make the mistake of thinking that. They are very smart and very good at what they do.

Physical conditioning is paramount for any Marine job. Passing an Initial Strength Test is required to even ship to boot camp. The IST consists of pullups, cruches and 1.5 mile run. Should you decide to join the DEP, I'm confident your recruiter will also have you doing the Personal Fitness Test and the Combat Fitness Test. Passing the PFT and CFT are current requirements for boot camp graduation.

<CENTER> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs p;</CENTER>
Old 01-13-2010, 18:20 PM

Marine Corps infantry

Thank You for replying to my post guys. I really appreciate it and got a lot out of what you guys said. The reason I want to become a grunt is because I feel like I should be on the front lines defending our country. Also, I heard you have to serve in the infantry to be able to apply for MARSOC. Any information on the infantry or MARSOC would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your replies.
Old 01-13-2010, 18:50 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

Hello futuremarine1..

I wonder how you will feel when people start shooting real bullets at you and trying to blow you up with RSB's.

One thing everyone should remember. Most of the people you go into combat against can shoot almost as good or in some cases better then you can.

So, keep your head and butt down when you are in the trenches..

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/

Old 01-13-2010, 21:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremarine1 View Post
Thank You for replying to my post guys. I really appreciate it and got a lot out of what you guys said. The reason I want to become a grunt is because I feel like I should be on the front lines defending our country. Also, I heard you have to serve in the infantry to be able to apply for MARSOC. Any information on the infantry or MARSOC would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your replies.
Mike, don't take this the wrong way, but PLEASE do not refer to these men as GUYS. Frank and Chuck are Marine Officers that just happen to be retired from active duty. Please show them the proper respect in the future.

Yes, currently it's true you have to have an Infantry MOS to even be considered for MARSOC. Within the past year, a change was made allowing you to specify in your contract that you want MARSOC. Assuming you make it thru boot camp and earn the Title, you will be given the opportunity to take the RECON INDOC Test (after SOI). Flunk it and you continue your training as a Marine Infantryman. Pass it and you will be given the opportunity to pass MANY more tests and successfully complete a lot of training before you are ever assigned to a Unit. MANY try, but FEW make it.

Mike, keep in mind that you have a minimum of 2.5 years before you are eligible to become a Marine Recruit. Requirements and qualifications can and will change during that time. Continue with your physical activities / training and your academic training. Who knows, you may even decide to continue your education beyond high school and become a Marine Officer. Don't scoff at the idea - - it happens all the time!!

Keep in touch.

<CENTER> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs p;</CENTER>
Old 01-14-2010, 21:01 PM

Corps

Thank you for the advice and I am sorry if I disrespected anyone and I truely didn't mean to. I appreciate the advice and would gladly accept more.
Old 12-27-2010, 21:12 PM

Hello marines,
I am 18 and a senior in high school. I have spoken with my recruiter about joining for the past 2 years and he has helped me every step of the way. I still have questions based on the 03XX field. What is it like to be an infantry man. As a grunt, what would I do as a day in day out thing? What does each day consist of and is it very demanding. Also, as a side note I am very well educated and I want to keep all my doors open so what are the requirements for the marine band? Do I need chromatic scales memorized, or other kinds of knowledge of music. And is it hard to join the marine band. Any information would be awesome. Thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 21:50 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhall View Post
Hello marines,
I am 18 and a senior in high school. I have spoken with my recruiter about joining for the past 2 years and he has helped me every step of the way. I still have questions based on the 03XX field. What is it like to be an infantry man. As a grunt, what would I do as a day in day out thing? What does each day consist of and is it very demanding. Also, as a side note I am very well educated and I want to keep all my doors open so what are the requirements for the marine band? Do I need chromatic scales memorized, or other kinds of knowledge of music. And is it hard to join the marine band. Any information would be awesome. Thanks
Why would you want to become a 03xx??? That is the 1st question. 2nd question, is why in the heck would you want to be in the band????
Old 12-30-2010, 22:05 PM
Administrator

Son, as The Gunner has said..... Why?

Number one, we are all grunts to begin with, every Marine is a grunt 03xx to start with. Every Marine better know how to shoot a weapon, read a map and I could go on. There are many Job specialties out there in the Corps....

Your ASVAP tests will, let the Corps know what you are good at..... you might be good in logistics, computers, etc.

The bottom line is you don't really get to choose... You can hope you get what you want..... but whatever you do in the Corps, you give it your best.... everything you do, is for the Corps and your Brother Marines. When your day ends, (which, could be 8 hours or 88 hours), did, I do my best, did, I set the example. It is all up to You.

On a second note.... You want to be in the Band.... Here is some basic info...... If are so smart....google the rest...

The Marine Band recruits experienced musicians; members are selected through a rigorous audition procedure and must satisfy additional security and physical requirements to be eligible. Selected band members serve under a four-year contract as active duty enlisted Marines and are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and physical standards. They are the only members of the United States Armed Forces not required to undergo recruit training, do not perform combat missions and are not assigned to any unit other than the Band.

The band members start at the rank of Staff Sergeant (a non-commissioned officer rank normally achieved after 10 to 13 years in service), and wear rank insignia with a lyre replacing the normal crossed rifles. Commissioned officers are drawn from the band, although Drum Majors are career Marines and are selected from Fleet Marine Force bands, as they are responsible for the military development of the band's members. As of 2010, the USMC spends about $10 million annually to support the band.[1]

GyB

GyBill U.S.M.C.
Webmaster MarineChat.com, Obituary NCOIC