MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 05-24-2010, 20:42 PM

Duty Assignment

Hello to all,

I am five years in the Army with the rank of Sgt. I am 110% sure of transferring to the Marine Corps. I have asked many questions and have been considering this since prior to my deployment (late 2008). I understand my sacrifices that come with this transfer.

I have a question that is significant to me that I have been lied to about multiple times: how can I get Camp Pendleton, San Diego, as my duty assignment as an MP on my contract? If any experienced personnel could advise, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2010, 20:50 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe_01 View Post
Hello to all,

I am five years in the Army with the rank of Sgt. I am 110% sure of transferring to the Marine Corps. I have asked many questions and have been considering this since prior to my deployment (late 2008). I understand my sacrifices that come with this transfer.

I have a question that is significant to me that I have been lied to about multiple times: how can I get Camp Pendleton, San Diego, as my duty assignment as an MP on my contract? If any experienced personnel could advise, I would greatly appreciate it.

Well I see the set-up I did worked. Now, being a transfer from another service, you have to go to USMC Bootcamp first. I never seen someone come from another service w/out going to USMC Bootcamp. Of course you will lose about 2 ranks as well. Hope they told you that. Now your IP indicates you are in Ca already. So Bootcamp in San Diego is a go... MCT at Camp Pendleton then off to MOS school. Now, when you are in school, you are given a dream sheet that you list your Duty Station preference. Put Camp Pendleton on it. However, like any other service, you will be placed where you are needed the most. Unless you stay reservist, you of course can go anywhere. I have never ever seen a Recruiter get a poolee a guaranteed duty station. Next to impossible.
Old 05-24-2010, 21:03 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

JoeSchmoe_01 Frank is correct. You will have to go through our Marine Corps Boot camp. Even though you may be a Sgt in the Army reserve our boot camp will not be easy.

No duty station is a guarantee and trying to get a guaranteed duty station like Frank said is next to impossible no matter what you may be told.

A good example of that is me. I wanted to go to the east coast area. But because I lived west of the Mississippi when I enlisted I was sent to MCRD San Diego for my boot camp. Then after boot camp and advanced combat training (ITR) I thought I was going to still be shipped to the eastern US. But I was given orders to Cold Weather Training near Lake Tahoe, California. From there I had orders to continue on to Alaska where I was to be stationed for two years. But low and behold upon completion of cold weather training my orders were changed and I was sent to the 4th Marine Brigade at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii for my first 2 year duty station.

The only time I was able to get to the east coast area was when I was commissioned a mustang 2ndLt in 1963. I was sent to TBS for the one and only time on the east coast. All of my duty for the next 14 years was on the west coast in the San Francisco Bay area.

In this day and age no matter what you pick, what the Marine Corps wants you to do comes first. You will be deployed to a foreign country within your 1st two years of active duty. Your changes of going to the sand pit are almost 95%. So, that gives you something to look forward to.

No matter what your MOS turns out to be you will have to earn it. You will not just be able to pick and get it. The odds are stacked against you unless you really work hard for what you want and you excel over all the others trying to get the same job.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/

Old 05-25-2010, 19:22 PM
Administrator

Also Joe you best be in damn good shape as in boot camp you will be with mostly 17 and 18 year old young men so you will be like a dad to them. In addition, the drill instructors could make it real tuff for you unless you can compete and have some good leadership qualities.

I have been retired for 40 years and things change, but I am positive you will be given a general contract, (with no guarantees). To be a Marine you must perform in what ever job you are assigned, even out of your military occupational speciality.

If you do cross over I wish you the best.

Old 05-26-2010, 17:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS4870 View Post
Also Joe you best be in damn good shape as in boot camp you will be with mostly 17 and 18 year old young men so you will be like a dad to them. In addition, the drill instructors could make it real tuff for you unless you can compete and have some good leadership qualities.

I have been retired for 40 years and things change, but I am positive you will be given a general contract, (with no guarantees). To be a Marine you must perform in what ever job you are assigned, even out of your military occupational speciality.

If you do cross over I wish you the best.
Thank you, gentlemen, for the motivating words. I am hoping that excelling above my peers would greater my chances of getting what I want.

I do not intend to be difficult or picky, but I have a series of questions. Here are two of them:

1. How long are the deployments in the Marine Corps?
2. Is it possible to go Reserves, pick Camp Pendleton, then go Active Duty and keep Camp Pendleton? (Heard this idea from an intelligent Marine who's in for only, more or less, two years)

I would be proud to earn my title, U.S. Marine, and represent the Corps. I worked in a Joint-Task Force while deployed and I have not seen as much professionalism and brotherhood as the USMC. Thank you again.
Old 05-26-2010, 18:19 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe_01 View Post
Thank you, gentlemen, for the motivating words. I am hoping that excelling above my peers would greater my chances of getting what I want.

I do not intend to be difficult or picky, but I have a series of questions. Here are two of them:

1. How long are the deployments in the Marine Corps?
2. Is it possible to go Reserves, pick Camp Pendleton, then go Active Duty and keep Camp Pendleton? (Heard this idea from an intelligent Marine who's in for only, more or less, two years)

I would be proud to earn my title, U.S. Marine, and represent the Corps. I worked in a Joint-Task Force while deployed and I have not seen as much professionalism and brotherhood as the USMC. Thank you again.
To answer, here you go:

1. To the current combat zones- 7 months
Unaccompanied tour to Okinawa- 2 years
Part of a MEU- 6-7 months

2. You could possibly do the Reserve to Active duty and try to stay at Pendleton, highly unlikely though. Your MOS is definately going to have to change. This link shows ALL MARFORRES Units in Ca..: http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/CA.asp
Old 05-26-2010, 19:50 PM
Administrator

I agree with Frank. The Corps is not going to guarantee you any thing.

If you join a reserve unit you would stay with that unit. However, if the unit is activated you would more than likely go where the unit is assigned. There are always a few exceptions, but don't plan on being an exception.