MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 08-10-2010, 15:34 PM

I don't quite understand...

So i plan on joining the marines when i can (17 yrs old) and i'm a little fuzzy on things. I googled and researched until i can find no more lol.

First of all, my brother is Army reserve and he insists that to pass the recruit traing you need to do sit ups.. But the Parris Island site says crunches. Which is it?

Secondly, I realize that Marines need to be smart and stuff. I generally struggle in science, will that create a problem for me on the ASVAB?

And lastly, When do you take the ASVAB?
lol
Old 08-10-2010, 15:49 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Crunches is the correct exercise. The ASVAB is generally taken within a year time period prior going to Bootcamp. Science is not a big player in the overall grade.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
So i plan on joining the marines when i can (17 yrs old) and i'm a little fuzzy on things. I googled and researched until i can find no more lol.

First of all, my brother is Army reserve and he insists that to pass the recruit traing you need to do sit ups.. But the Parris Island site says crunches. Which is it?

Secondly, I realize that Marines need to be smart and stuff. I generally struggle in science, will that create a problem for me on the ASVAB?

And lastly, When do you take the ASVAB?
lol
i deped (delayed entry program) into the marine corp this past june. june 1 to be exact. When you turn 17 you will contact a recruiter or he will contact you. They generally come to the school when you are given the asvab. my school provided asvab tests and it was a mandatory test that all the juniors had to take. you will take the asvab your 11th grade year if your school provides it. I talked with the marine recruiter and he told me i had to lose a little bit of weight. i was weighing 240. 5 months later i contacted him telling him i weighed 180. He was surprised that i wanted in the corp so bad that i dropped 60 pounds in 5 months. later he told me he had serious doubts that i would even contact him back, but now he has all the assurance that im going. crunches you need to do at least 44. my recruiter will only accept 50 and up to ship out though. you need to do atelast 3 pull ups. then again my recruiter has a little more strict policy on the pull ups he says if we can't do at least 5 then we are not shipping. Then you have your 1 and half mile run, you have to beat 13:30 to ship but ssgt wants us doing atleast 11 mins. You don't really have to be all that smart you just need to be bright and a quick thinker. these will lead you into being smart in the futer. if you have any questions on the processing and signing procedure for when you turn 17, feel free to send me a message.