MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 05-10-2010, 17:25 PM

change mos

I'm wanting to be an Mp but i have to be 19 in order to be one. I am 17 now i go june 1 to swear in. I asked my recruiter if i could be a tanker and then when i turn 19 train to be a mp. He said i could cross train. I'm thinking he is lieing to me because of all the articles i have read they say changing your mos can't be done unless you re-enlist. does any one have any insight on this? would be very appreciative to get some feed back. thank you.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:30 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_scroggins View Post
I'm wanting to be an Mp but i have to be 19 in order to be one. I am 17 now i go june 1 to swear in. I asked my recruiter if i could be a tanker and then when i turn 19 train to be a mp. He said i could cross train. I'm thinking he is lieing to me because of all the articles i have read they say changing your mos can't be done unless you re-enlist. does any one have any insight on this? would be very appreciative to get some feed back. thank you.
Adam, he is not telling you the entire truth/story. Go in as a Tanker. Here is what he is not telling you. You will have to be a tanker your entire 1st enlistment. Now, IF you reenlist, you can reenlist for a MOS unless all the boatspaces are filled. You "COULD" possible get the MP MOS. However, and again you would need to reenlist.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:34 PM

MP MOS REQUIREMENTS:

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions MOS 5811 - - Military Police

Type of MOS : PMOS

Rank Range: MGySgt to Pvt
Job Description: Military police perform assigned mi:itary law enforcement duties to uphold the criminal justice system, maintain good order and discipline, and support the commander's law enforcement and security requirements in peacetime and combat operations. Typical duties include foot and motorized patrol, control of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, flight line security, crime prevention/physical security, desk sergeant, communications dispatcher, squad leader, operations sergeant, platoon sergeant, and provost sergeant billets. MOS 5811 is very demanding in that the military police are confronted with every form of violation and criminal liability, misdemeanor through felony.
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score of 100 or higher {not waiverable) .
(2) Training and certification:
  • (a) Active duty Marines must complete the Law Enforcement Military Police (MP) Course at the United States Army Military Police School (USAMPS). (b) Prior service Reserve Marines, non-MOS qualified, may be certified for MOS 5811 also by attending the MP Course, or if unable to attend the regular MP Course, they may be certified as an AMOS-only, by the unit commander upon successful completion of the Alternate Training Instructional Program (ATIP) of Marine Force Reserves. The ATIP for MOS 5811 consists of all of the following: serving 6 months in a Reserve MP billet; successful completion of Military Police Course (Reserve), Phase I and II of the Army School System (TASS), demonstrated proficiency of Individual Training Standards (core tasks for MOS 5811) as outlined in Marine Corps Order 1510.86C; and favorable endorsement by an MP Inspector-Instructor. As described in COMMARFORRES Order 1535.1, some core tasks, which are not acquired at the TASS course, can be accomplished/demonstrated through Managed On-Job-Training (MOJT) .
(3) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance.
(4) Must have normal color vision (not waiverable).
(5) Must be 19 years old prior to completion of formal school (not waiverable) .
(6) Must have a minimum height of 65 inches with weight in proportion (waiverable to 62 inches).
(7) Must be a U.S. citizen.
(8) Must have valid state driver's license (not waiverable).
(9) Must have vision correctable to 20/20.
(10) Must possess clarity of speech.
(11) Must have no history of mental, nervous, or emotional disorders (not waiverable) . (12) No convictions by special or general courts-martial or civil courts (except minor traffic violations); no nonjudicial punishment convictions involving illegal drugs, spouse abuse/domestic violence, or immoral character (not waiverable) .
Old 05-10-2010, 17:35 PM

I really want to be a mp, tanker is just my back up plan. im reading on some articles that they lowered the age to 18 but im not sure if this is valid or not. I would be happy with either one but Mp is my primary i want to do. Just trying to see if its possible for me to be an mp. I could drop out untill another year. i understand i have that option because im dep i'm not sure if my recruiter knows that i know this and i could legally drop out and re-enlist at the correct age. but im not going to do that. i've waited long enough as it is.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:37 PM

TANKER MOS REQUIREMENTS:
MOS 1812 - - M1A1 Tank Crewman

m1a1 tank crewman

Job Description: As members of an M1A1 tank crew or unit, M1A1 tank crewman perform various duties incident to the operation and maintenance of the tank, to include tactical employment, firing and maneuvering. Typical duties include preparing tanks, personnel, and equipment for movement and combat; preparation of ammunition for firing; locating targets; loading, aiming and firing of organic tank weapons using the tank fire control system; driving the tank; and performance of operator- level preventive and corrective maintenance.
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score of 90 or higher.
(2) Complete the M1A1 Armor Crewman Course, Ft. Knox, KY. (Note: Non-MOS qualified prior service reservist may be certified as 1812s after completion of a two-phased training syllabus combined into a twenty-one day attendance at the Marine Corps M1A1 Reserve Tank Commander/Gunner Course (MCRTCGC), Ft. Knox, KY. Upon completion of the MCRTCGC, the battalion inspector-instructor may certify the Marine based upon satisfactory demonstration of the core skills as set forth in the Individual Training Standards while occupying a billet. requiring the AMOS).
(3) Must have vision correctable to 20/20. (4) Must have normal color vision.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
MP MOS REQUIREMENTS:

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions MOS 5811 - - Military Police

Job Description: Military police perform assigned mi:itary law enforcement duties to uphold the criminal justice system, maintain good order and discipline, and support the commander's law enforcement and security requirements in peacetime and combat operations. Typical duties include foot and motorized patrol, control of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, flight line security, crime prevention/physical security, desk sergeant, communications dispatcher, squad leader, operations sergeant, platoon sergeant, and provost sergeant billets. MOS 5811 is very demanding in that the military police are confronted with every form of violation and criminal liability, misdemeanor through felony.
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score of 100 or higher {not waiverable) .
(2) Training and certification:
  • (a) Active duty Marines must complete the Law Enforcement Military Police (MP) Course at the United States Army Military Police School (USAMPS). (b) Prior service Reserve Marines, non-MOS qualified, may be certified for MOS 5811 also by attending the MP Course, or if unable to attend the regular MP Course, they may be certified as an AMOS-only, by the unit commander upon successful completion of the Alternate Training Instructional Program (ATIP) of Marine Force Reserves. The ATIP for MOS 5811 consists of all of the following: serving 6 months in a Reserve MP billet; successful completion of Military Police Course (Reserve), Phase I and II of the Army School System (TASS), demonstrated proficiency of Individual Training Standards (core tasks for MOS 5811) as outlined in Marine Corps Order 1510.86C; and favorable endorsement by an MP Inspector-Instructor. As described in COMMARFORRES Order 1535.1, some core tasks, which are not acquired at the TASS course, can be accomplished/demonstrated through Managed On-Job-Training (MOJT) .
(3) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance.
(4) Must have normal color vision (not waiverable).
(5) Must be 19 years old prior to completion of formal school (not waiverable) .
(6) Must have a minimum height of 65 inches with weight in proportion (waiverable to 62 inches).
(7) Must be a U.S. citizen.
(8) Must have valid state driver's license (not waiverable).
(9) Must have vision correctable to 20/20.
(10) Must possess clarity of speech.
(11) Must have no history of mental, nervous, or emotional disorders (not waiverable) . (12) No convictions by special or general courts-martial or civil courts (except minor traffic violations); no nonjudicial punishment convictions involving illegal drugs, spouse abuse/domestic violence, or immoral character (not waiverable) .
I have looked at this and i talked to my recruiter about it. my asvab scores are good. i have 110 or higher on everything and my composite was 66. or thats what he told me i havn't seen my results first hand. but i do know the army and coast guard were bugging me like crazy for about a week untill i told them all i already had plans.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:39 PM

Quote:
I really want to be a mp, tanker is just my back up plan. im reading on some articles that they lowered the age to 18 but im not sure if this is valid or not. I would be happy with either one but Mp is my primary i want to do. Just trying to see if its possible for me to be an mp. I could drop out untill another year. i understand i have that option because im dep i'm not sure if my recruiter knows that i know this and i could legally drop out and re-enlist at the correct age. but im not going to do that. i've waited long enough as it is.
The DEP is only good for 1 year. You either wait until you are 19 to go to bootcamp, or you pick another MOS now to go after graduation. However, being a Marine first and foremost should be the only thing on your mind. The MOS should be a factor, but only a small one.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:41 PM

How about a tank mechanic????? How about a weapons repairer, how about a machinist, how about a refrigeration mechanic, how about a LAV crewman or mechanic, how about a AAV crewman or mechanic, how about a artillery repair tech. How about a welder, many opportunities.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:45 PM

those all sound very interesting but i would much rather be a mp or a tank driver. i would post one of those as a secondary. i know im not guaranteed anything untill i get it but it would be nice.... and here is the thing that had me thinking they lowered the age requirements Red/green color discrimination
Must meet all requirements for Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) qualifications
Must possess a valid state motor vehicle operator license
No objection to performing security duties in the vicinity of nuclear or chemical munitions stored or staged for military use.
No record of more than 15 days lost under section 972-10- USC.
Minimum age of 18 at time of entrance on active duty
No record of possession or use of any narcotic or non-narcotic drug
Most criminal offenses (including three or more minor traffic infractions) will generally be disqualifying

the url is http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/31b.htm
Old 05-10-2010, 17:49 PM

Quote:
those all sound very interesting but i would much rather be a mp or a tank driver. i would post one of those as a secondary. i know im not guaranteed anything untill i get it but it would be nice.... and here is the thing that had me thinking they lowered the age requirements Red/green color discrimination
Must meet all requirements for Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) qualifications
Must possess a valid state motor vehicle operator license
No objection to performing security duties in the vicinity of nuclear or chemical munitions stored or staged for military use.
No record of more than 15 days lost under section 972-10- USC.
Minimum age of 18 at time of entrance on active duty
No record of possession or use of any narcotic or non-narcotic drug
Most criminal offenses (including three or more minor traffic infractions) will generally be disqualifying

the url is http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/31b.htm
Now why would you want to join the Army??????? Again, you have a choice.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:53 PM

marines have to go to the army training facility to train as mp... i have no idea why i guess its a way to save money or something. Or i totally misread the article. i was just trying to get some information if it was possible for me to become a mp with my enlistment. Thank you frank once again for helping me.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:58 PM

Quote:
marines have to go to the army training facility to train as mp... i have no idea why i guess its a way to save money or something. Or i totally misread the article. i was just trying to get some information if it was possible for me to become a mp with my enlistment. Thank you frank once again for helping me.
Adam, you will find most DoD schools are consolidated or co-located. I retired out of APG, Md and it is a Army installation. We train side by side with the Army, Navy and Air Force as well. I was in charge of a few of those schools for my last 2 years before retirement. You will have Army Instructors and Marine Instructors. If you have your heart set on being a Marine MP, you are going to have to wait.
Old 05-10-2010, 18:01 PM

It would be a nice change from tanker to mp with my next enlistment if i decide to continue out my military career. Once again thank you, you have provided more than enough advice and information to what i was looking for and i am grateful.
Old 05-10-2010, 18:02 PM

Quote:
It would be a nice change from tanker to mp with my next enlistment if i decide to continue out my military career. Once again thank you, you have provided more than enough advice and information to what i was looking for and i am grateful.
Your welcome Adam. That is why this forum is here!!
Old 05-10-2010, 18:08 PM

you fine gentlemen are going to get tired of seeing me on your forum before too long. I did find a good place to do my pull ups. There is a local park 4 blocks up and there are monkey bars there. perfect hight. At meps the gunny in charge over my recruiter had another recruit and my self do the timed crunches and what not and i only need little improvements on the pull ups and running. which i thought was fantastic considering i have never played any sports other than baseball. Our baseball team is a joke at that. It is time for my dinner and i hope to stay in touch.
Old 05-10-2010, 18:12 PM

Quote:
you fine gentlemen are going to get tired of seeing me on your forum before too long. I did find a good place to do my pull ups. There is a local park 4 blocks up and there are monkey bars there. perfect hight. At meps the gunny in charge over my recruiter had another recruit and my self do the timed crunches and what not and i only need little improvements on the pull ups and running. which i thought was fantastic considering i have never played any sports other than baseball. Our baseball team is a joke at that. It is time for my dinner and i hope to stay in touch.
Just keep exercising. You will be good to go. Talk to you later.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 AM

sent in a request for my mos's last thursday. my number one is marine security force prp or something like that. its protecting people not the buildings. not mp like i wanted even though there was an opening for mp selection >.< but age requirements are off by 1 year. so i went with the next best thing. my two follow ups are combat support and equipment and vehicle repair.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Combat support or equip/vehicle repair are inclusive of alot of MOS'. Within those career fields, which MOS' are you actually looking at?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM

m1a1 abram crewman( i want to be the driver) and for vehicle repair, motor transport field i want to work on the vehicles. Ihave kinda been looking at artillery it seems interesting as well.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 AM

In regards to Artillery, you want to be a crewman or arty mechanic. M1 driver, eh, ok but not a hard thing to do. Definately not a challenge. I know alot of Tankers. MT mechanic....boring unless you get to a 3-4 echelon shop.