MarineChat.com

Where Marines, their families, and friends come together

To request registration to MarineChat.com please forward you requested user name, email address, date of birth, and the zip code where you live to the webmaster.

Go Back   MarineChat.com > Future Marines
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Future Marines A place for the poolees (future Marines) and Delayed Entry folks to ask questions. Get tips from your fellow poolees and former and current Marines before you head to MCRD.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 AM

Aviation Mechanic

I am interested in becoming an Aviation Mechanic.

Is their anyone on this site who has gone to Aviation Mechanics School that can tell me whats involved and what they think of it?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLowe View Post
I am interested in becoming an Aviation Mechanic.

Is their anyone on this site who has gone to Aviation Mechanics School that can tell me whats involved and what they think of it?
For what kind of aircraft? Fixed or rotary wing?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM

well both if that's possible
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Webmaster 4th Class

Nosy

Welcome aboard LKLowe. We have a few Marines on our board that were in Aviation. Most served during the Vietnam period. Some going back to the start of World War II (our historian RedDok)..

We have a private area that is for Marines and FMF Corpsmen only. Once you have completed boot camp you will also be allowed there. I will pass the word to that group and I am sure there are some of what we call wingers that will come and answer your questions for you.

Before you can do anything you have to complete boot camp and then qualify for training in the field that our Marine Corps feel is best for you and for the Marine Corps. If you want to be in the air wing you first have to set it up with your recruiter. He will tell you what you may qualify for and what is available.

But do not get shocked if you find yourself in a line company (infantry) after you graduate from boot camp.

I had to spend 3 years in a line company before I was found and sent to school for the job I ended up spending the rest of my career in.. The Marine Corps even made me a officer. But, I loved every minute of my Marine Corps Career and I would do it all over again if I could. 20 years goes by very fast and I have now been retired for almost 35 years.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Thank you for the response and any wisdom you can impart to me is appreciated.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
The "HAMMER" Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLowe View Post
well both if that's possible
You are one or the other.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

LKLowe have you talked to a recruiter about what you would like to be or do?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM

No I have not.
Old 02-21-2011, 13:58 PM
Webmaster 4th Class

It is highly recommended that you contact a local Marine recruiter. Tell him what you are interest in. Ask lot's of questions. He or she will have the latest information. Things are changing all the time. For us that have done the things that you now what to do .. years have gone buy and a lot of changes have been made.

A recruiter will also be able to tell you what the latest MOS quotas are. That will indicate how good your changes are for getting what you want.

Old 09-17-2013, 18:01 PM

LKLowe, I was in the Wing and I can tell you that you need to have something specific in mind. When I went in the Corps back in 1986, I was like you. I wanted to be an aircraft mechanic, but had no real knowledge of aircraft, other than specific types. I ended up in Maintenance Administration (dealing with aircraft logbooks, tracking flight hours, maintenance procedures, and transfers). My job had nothing to do with turning a wrench unless the typewriter broke.

That being said, once I became good at my job and was proficient, I did find my way on to the hangar deck and made a habit of helping out whichever maintenance shop was short handed that night.

Aircraft mechanics specialize on systems, there is no general mechanic. Systems would be Powerplants, Electronics, Ordnance (bombs and bullets), Flight Equipment (Ejection seats, parachutes, flight suits and helmets), Comm/Nav (Communications and Navigation), or Hydraulics. These are all fixed wing fields, not helicopters. Helicopters have their own specialties too.

In most cases, you will be required to make at least a six year commitment, due to the length of the school for these technical fields. Definitely speak with a recruiter and have this information in mind.

I know this is an older thread and you may already be through boot camp by now and in school at Memphis Millington, but the information may help someone else in your position.

-Joe
Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Administrator

They don't train Marines at Memphis anymore, it's all at Pensacola now.

Semper Fi
Tim
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy L McMahon View Post
They don't train Marines at Memphis anymore, it's all at Pensacola now.
I should have known...

Obviously it's been a while since I was in the aviation community.

-Joe
Old 09-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Aviation MOS school Marines at Pensacola.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parade%20rest.jpg (160.6 KB, 8 views)

Semper Fi
Tim